Look [FLY] Guys, we already know you can grill a hamburger and boil spaghetti. We've known that since seventh grade Home Economics. Why not show us some real skills in the kitch? We'd love to see a thoughtful meal with a bit of intrigue À la Carte every now and then. And never, ever, underestimate the power of risk factor to wow your dinner guests. By this, of course, I mean a lot less campfire, and a lot more blow torched crème brûlée.
But if all that sounds just a little bit scary, I've got a quick and easy (did I also mention, impressive?) meal that's also ecologically sound and seriously easy on the budget. Flexitarian cuisine RULES. All you need are a sauce pot, large nonstick skillet or wok, some veg, rice and the star of the show: Tofu Kan. Come on [FLY] Guys, make us a lil' somethin' somethin' special for dinner tonight!
Minus the ground beef, mmk?
SIMPLE SPICY TOFU KAN STIR FRY
• 4 Cups prepared Jasmine Rice (follow instructions on package. I promise it only sounds fancy. it's really super easy to make. If you can't find jasmine rice, you can always sub brown rice.)
• 4 Cups assorted fresh veg (cleaned and chopped to roughly same size/dimensions): broccoli, carrots, mushrooms, snow or snap peas, zucchini, etc.
• 1 block of Tofu Kan (a marinated and baked tofu that yields a silky texture when stir fried) from the natural foods section at any grocery store or the co-op.
Simple Spicy Stir Fry Sauce
Stir together the following in a small bowl with a fork or wire whisk:
o ½ Cup Low Sodium Soy Sauce
o ¼ Cup Thai Sweet Chili Sauce
o 1 tsp. Minced Garlic (fresh or from the jar)
o 1 tsp. Fresh Minced Ginger
o 1 tsp. Dried Chili Pepper Flakes
1. Prepare rice as directed. Fluff with a fork, cover, and set aside.
2. In a large nonstick skillet or wok, bring roughly ½ cup vegetable oil and a smidge of salt to temperature over a medium-high flame*
3. Throw in all the veg and cubed/sliced tofu kan, toss a few times with a spatula and cover with tin foil.
4. Stir fry to your heart's content. Usually takes about four-five minutes.
5. Serve over jasmine rice in bowls and top with as much Simple Spicy Sauce as you like!
Eat. Repeat. Yum.
*I like to use grape seed oil because it's not only healthy, it also has one of the highest smoking points of cooking oils, and is therefore great for stir frying at high temps.