"https://www.gate.io/pt-br/signup/612995" | Search | Jackson Free Press | Jackson, MS

Show advanced options

Select all Clear all

Entry

July 15, 2014

Judge June Hardwick: I Haven't Quit or Been Fired

By R.L. Nave

"I've not resigned and not received a termination letter," June Hardwick, a Jackson municipal judge, told the Jackson Free Press this afternoon.

Hardwick, whom Mayor Chokwe Lumumba appointed to a judgeship in 2013, was responding to rumors on a local blog that she had stepped down from her post last week.

Fueling the speculation that Mayor Tony Yarber, who has been cleaning house of many of the late mayor's appointments, is the fact that two municipal court appointees are up for nomination on tonight's city council—Gerald Mumford and Bob Waller.

The city's website lists six municipal judges, including Waller. Hardwick's name does not appear on the list, but it's unclear when the site was last updated.

Things have been tense between Hardwick, a former Hinds County public defender, and Yarber since May when Hardwick set a bond for a murder suspect that Yarber felt was too low. Yarber told WJTV that he would considering removing judges who weren't tough enough on violent criminals.

"We intend on ensuring that if you sit in a municipal judge seat in this city then the expectation is that you will value the lives and the families of those people who are affected by violent crimes by setting a bond that is appropriate in terms of that crime," Yarber told WJTV, "and $50,000 bond for a life that was taken...we're not tolerating that."

In that case, a 19-year-old named Wilber Clay was arrested for the Mother's Day shooting death of 29-year-old Ebony Hervey.

Yarber demurred when another WJTV reporter asked about the situation with Hardwick earlier today.

"I'm focused on the two (people) we have nominated," Yarber said.

The city code briefly talks about the rules of judicial appointments — "at the time provided for the appointment of other officers, not more than three municipal judges shall be appointed by the mayor and confirmed by an affirmative vote of a majority of the council present and voting" — but also stops short of stating specific circumstances for removing them from the bench.

In the meantime, despite all the consternation over Clay's bail being insufficiently tough, records from the Hinds County Sheriff's Office shows that Clay remains incarcerated in the Raymond Detention Center.

Hardwick is scheduled to sit on the bench Wednesday afternoon.

Entry

May 9, 2016

Big Week for Underclassmen in NBA Draft

By bryanflynn

Mississippi State University star Malik Newman got some good news recently. He is one of more than 70 players to get an invite to the NBA Combine.

Nearly 120 underclassmen threw their hat into the NBA Draft ring. That is a lot of names for a draft that has just two rounds and 60 draft picks.

On top of the 120 underclassmen from college, another nearly 50 international players have also declared. The draft pool will also include every eligible senior.

The players in the NBA Draft Combine will travel to Chicago to take part in various basketball drills, have medical tests done, and meet with scouts, coaches and general managers. In other words, the basketball version of the NFL Combine.

Players will be there from May 11 to May 15. The NBA Draft Lottery is on May 17 during the NBA Playoffs.

A new NCAA rule allows players who declare but don’t hire agents to return to school after the NBA Combine. Players have 10 days after the combine to make a decision if they are going to stay in.

This week will be important for Newman’s draft hopes. If he has a poor showing at the combine, he will more than likely be back at Mississippi State this fall.

On the other hand, a standout showing from Newman could have him jump up the draft boards. NBA draft projections have him all over the place.

Some have the MSU star going late in the first round, and others have him not being drafted at all. That is a very big disparity on where a player will land.

That is why this week will be important for Newman and others who could be on the cusp of being drafted or not. NBA dreams could be squashed for a year with a bad combine.

It is still not the end of the world for players who need to return to school. They can still declare for the draft after next season without losing their eligibility. In fact, they can declare for the draft three times without losing their ability to play in college.

Players can also, at their expense, have one workout per NBA team. That gives them a chance to get another assessment of their skills and learn just how interested teams are in their services.

Players who don’t withdraw their name by May 25 will forfeit their eligibility, even if they don’t hire an agent. Players who stay in the draft and don’t hear their name called will have to catch on with the D-League or overseas.

Newman should get a good idea this week if he should return to MSU.

Entry

June 9, 2016

Former Saint Sues 'Biggest Loser'

By bryanflynn

A big man is suing NBC’s hit reality weight-loss show, "Biggest Loser." Former New Orleans Saints and Cleveland Brown player LeCharles Bentley is taking the show to court over alleged trademark infringement.

TMZ was the first to report on the lawsuit. Bentley alleges that the new logo for the Biggest Loser, which was adopted earlier this year, closely resembles the logo for his O-Line Performance Facility.

Bentley sent NBC and the show’s producers a cease-and-desist letter, which allegedly the show has ignored. Now, the former NFL offensive guard and center wants the show's logo to be changed and to get a slice of the revenue it made while using the new logo.

A spokesperson for NBC Universal told Pro Football Talk in an email that the company had no comment on the lawsuit.

The Saints drafted Bentley in the second round with the 44th overall pick of the 2002 NFL Draft out of Ohio State University. He played in New Orleans for four seasons and earned a Pro Bowl nod in 2002 and 2005.

While at Ohio State, Bentley earned First-Team All-Big Ten honors in 2000 and 2001. He also was named winner of the Rimington Trophy, which the nation’s best interior offensive lineman receives.

After his rookie season of 2002, Bentley was named Sports Illustrated’s Offensive Rookie of the Year and to Pro Football Weekly’s All-Rookie Team. He started 14 games as a rookie at guard and 13 at guard his second season. Bentley was moved to center for his final two seasons in New Orleans after starting a total of 30 games.

He signed with the Cleveland Browns during the 2006 offseason. Bentley injured his knee in training camp and ended up with a staph infection. His knee required four surgeries, with two needed to remove the staph infection.

Bentley spent the 2007 season on the Physically Unable to Perform list. He requested and received his release from the Browns in June 2008.

The injury ended Bentley’s career in the NFL. He spent the entire 2008 season out of football, and after that year, he retired. He later reached a settlement agreement with the Browns.

Bentley did some work in the media after his career ended. He started his O-Line Performance Facility in 2008 in a Cleveland, Ohio suburb and moved it Scottsdale, Ariz. in late 2013, after his work in media was over. His performance center has been recognized for its work in various sports media, including ESPN, Sports Illustrated and others.

Entry

September 7, 2016

Rebels Lose Two Players to Knee Injuries for Rest of Season

By bryanflynn

The fallout from the University of Mississippi’s loss to Florida State University continued on Tuesday, Sept. 6. Hugh Freeze confirmed to ESPN.com that starting cornerback Ken Webster and backup running back Eric Swinney are lost for the rest of the 2016 season with knee injuries.

Both injuries hurt units that lacked depth even before the season started. Those thin units showed in the Rebels 45-34 loss to the Seminoles on Labor Day night.

Webster’s injury might have turned the game around for FSU. Until he was hurt on the fourth play of the Seminoles’ opening drive, Webster allowed UM to play man-to-man coverage against the Seminole receivers and let the linebackers and defensive line stuff the run and pass rush.

During the second quarter, the FSU offense got rolling, as both teams made adjustments with Webster’s injury. The Seminoles were able to pick on weaker defensive backs all night when the Rebels tried to play man-to-man.

Freshman FSU quarterback Deondre Francois was able to pass for 419 yards and two touchdowns with no turnovers against the Rebels. Webster’s injury played a big part in Francois being able to settle down and make throws in his first college start.

Webster’s teammates surrounded him just moments before being carted off the field, and then, he was still yelling words of encouragement and coaching up the defense. The Rebels defense still was able to contain FSU’s offense before the Seminoles fully figured out the team’s defense right before halftime.

The Rebels were already thin at running back after redshirt junior Jordan Wilkins was suspended for the 2016 season. They got even thinner at the position when redshirt freshman Swinney injured his knee on his first carry of the game.

While no one expected the Rebels to out-rush the Seminoles, with FSU running back Dalvin Cook being healthy at the start of the season, UM did need to run the ball to give its offense balance. FSU finished the game with 161 rushing yards to the Rebels’ 61 rushing yards.

Cook out-rushed the Rebels by himself with 91 yards on 23 carries. Akeem Judd led UM in rushing with 44 yards on eight carries.

FSU was able to build a 42:39 to 17:21 advantage in time of possession. The amount of possession showed late in the game, as the Rebels defense was worn out from being on the field for so long.

The Rebels are going to need players to step up for the rest of the season. They will have to figure out their problems quickly with the University of Alabama coming to town in two weeks.

Entry

October 10, 2016

State Political Leaders React to Donald Trump's 'Locker Room Talk,' Second Debate

By adreher

After the Washington Post released a 2005 video recording of Donald Trump and Billy Bush having a lewd conversation about permissible ways to treat women, several former Trump supporters backed away from their endorsements. Among these politicians were Alabama Gov. Robert Bentley and two Alabama members of Congress.

Mississippi political leaders, however, did not back off their endorsements. Lt. Gov. Tate Reeves did tweet his disapproval with Trump's remarks on Oct. 8.

"As a dad of girls, @realdonaldtrump's remarks on video are reprehensible and outside the bounds of decency. I hope his apology is sincere," Reeves tweeted on Oct. 8.

Trump issued an apology in a short video later, but defended the discussion as "locker room talk" in the second presidential debate on Sunday.

The Mississippi Democratic Party released a statement in response to Trump's views on sexual assault last Friday.

"It was revealed this afternoon that the Republican presidential nominee continues to hold astonishing views about how he can get away with sexual assault. Yet, not a single Republican statewide or legislative leader has called his actions deplorable," the statement says. "America deserves better leadership than this, and voters should remember his words when they vote on November 8th."

Following the debate, Gov. Phil Bryant did not back off his endorsement of Trump, and on Facebook, he said issues like repealing Obamacare and appointing judges to the U.S. Supreme Court were at stake in the election.

"Tonight, Donald Trump focused on issues important to the American people -- securing our borders, rebuilding our economy and repealing and replacing Obamacare. Bill Clinton was correct when he called it the craziest thing in the world. It was good to see most of this debate centered on things that are important to Americans," Bryant said in a Facebook post on Sunday. "Hillary Clinton spent the evening proposing the same policies that have failed for 30 years, including appointing liberal judges to the Supreme Court who would advance the Left's agenda rather than respect the Constitution. Most conservatives understand this election is about the United States Supreme Court and the future of our country."

Thus far, no state political leaders who formally endorsed Trump have swayed in their support of the Republican presidential candidate. The deadline for Mississippians to register to vote was on Saturday.

Story
Tease photo Art

It's the Weekend!

This weekend, Breakfast with the Otters is at the Jackson Zoo, Juneteenth Celebration at Battlefield Park, GenerationNXT Indie Concert Series is at Dreamz JXN.

Story
Art

Weekend Events

Start the weekend off by heading to the Jackson Community Design Center at 5:30 p.m. for "Cross-Pollinate: A Speaker Series." Shahid Buttar, of the Bill of Rights Defense Committee in …

Story
Best of Jackson

2005: The Future Is Now

This year at least doubled the number of ballots we had to contend with for the Best of Jackson 2005 reader poll and for that we are eternally grateful to …

Story
Jackblog

Nowhere to Sit: The Trent Lott Porch Story

A stirring documentary about Trent Lott's porch in Pascagoula after Katrina. I laughed, I cried. (Actually, I mostly just giggled a little bit. The rest of the 23/6 site has …

Story
Tease photo Events

It's the Weekend!

On Saturday, the Mississippi Symphony Orchestra presents "Bravo IV: Beethoven's Sixth" at 7:30 p.m. at Thalia Mara Hall.

Story
Story
Good

Conflicts

Whether it's whose dog is barking too much or where a tree falls on a property line, when your home is only a few feet away, sooner or later you …

Story
Sports

NFL: Brett And Brad Go Out On A Date

NFL legend Brett Favre appears hell-bent on unretiring. Minnesota Vikings coach Brad Childress reportedly met with No. 4 on Wednesday. Meanwhile, Favre's agent, Bus Cook, was insisting that Favre is …

Story
Tease photo State

‘Great Day Indeed’ As COVID-19 Vaccine Now Available To All Mississippians

All Mississippians aged 16 or older are now eligible to receive COVID-19 vaccinations. No employment, pre-existing condition, or citizenship requirement bar Mississippi’s adult population from getting their shot of Pfizer, …

Story
Tease photo Health Care

CDC Lifts Pause On Johnson & Johnson Vaccine, But Mississippi Yet To Resume

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention lifted a pause on the Johnson & Johnson vaccine on April 23, paving the way for states to resume the one-shot vaccinations.

Story
Tease photo Education

Mississippi Teacher Pay Raise Finally Arrives After Long Delay

Mississippi teachers can expect an average $1,000 increase to their base salary starting from July 1 of this year, depending on their teaching license and experience.

Story
Tease photo Events

It's the Weekend!

On Saturday, Black Jacket Symphony performs at 8 p.m. at Hal and Mal's.

Story
Tease photo Events

It's the Weekend!

On Saturday, Arts Klassical's Music from the Soul and Poetry Reading is from 7-10 p.m. at the Jackson Medical Mall in the Community Room.

Story
Tease photo Events

It's the Weekend!

On Saturday, Just for Kids hosts the Christmas Festival from 10 a.m.-2 p.m. at Jackson Medical Mall.

Story
Tease photo Events

It's the Weekend!

On Saturday, the BankPlus Racing Vehicle Extravaganza is from 9 a.m.-6 p.m. at the Mississippi Trade Mart.