Regardless of age, skill level, playing style or instrument preference, a number of places in the Jackson area are ready and able to meet your music lesson needs.
The Mississippi School of Music and the Yamaha School of Music are located conveniently at Mississippi Music Inc. (1001 Sara Lane, Flowood, 601-922-1200, mississippimusic.com). Yamaha has a great summer program for kids ages 3 to 9. For $80 a month, your child can get invaluable early exposure to ear training and reading music, with the main focus on learning piano—or, as music folks like to think of it, an orchestra crammed into one instrument. The school also offers sessions throughout the year—a great way to give your aspiring band geek or performance prodigy that extra advantage.
Maybe you are more of a rocker. That's fine; go see the guys at Fondren Guitars. In addition to lessons, you can sign up for their Rock Band to rehearse with others and perform for an audience.
Monthly prices listed below include one half-hour lesson per week.
• Fondren Guitars (607 Fondren Place, 601-362-0313, http://www.fondrenguitars.com).
$90 a month; guitar, bass, piano, drums, mandolin and banjo.
• Lakeland Music (5200 Lakeland Drive, Brandon 601-992-0089, http://www.lakelandmusic.com/lessons.htm).
$92 a month; guitar, bass and drums.
• Lipking Music (282 W. Government St., Brandon, 601-591-1441)
$80 a month, four lessons; $100 a month, five lessons; guitar.
• Mississippi Music (1001 Sara Lane, Flowood, 601-922-1200, http://www.mississippimusic.com)
Lessons, $100-$125 a month (prices can vary); guitar, bass, piano, violin, viola, brass and drums. $80 a month for Yamaha Music School.
• Morrison Brothers Music (127 Dyess Road, Ridgeland, 601-956-0135, http://www.mobro.net)
$80-$95 a month (prices can vary); guitar bass, piano, violin, mandolin, banjo, dobro and drums.