Average Daily Attendance
• Calculated from ADA in months 2-3 for grades K-12.
• School districts with high growth (determined by positive growth in the preceding 3 years) have an increased calculation of their ADA.
• Due to new legislation, districts may not count students as "present" if they miss more than three hours in a day.
+Base Student Cost
• Determined by looking at expenditures of school districts deemed successful by the state board of education using assessment data, and efficient in instruction, administration, operation and maintenance, and ancillary support.
• Calculated every four years.
• Partially adjusted for inflation in the years between calculations.
+At Risk Component
• School districts get a higher allocation if they have a high number of free-lunch participants: 5% of the base student cost multiplied by the number of free lunch participants on Oct. 31 of preceding year
• MAEP statute requires that local governments contribute revenue collected from 28 mills to school funding to satisfy their local contribution.
• The maximum required local contribution is 27% of adequate education program costs.
• An adjustment made to make sure that school districts receive at least what they received in 2002 plus 8%.
=MAEP Formula Allocation
MAEP Formula Allocation
• Includes transportation, vocational education, special education, gifted education, alternative school programs, extended school year programs, university-based programs and bus-driver training programs.
=Total MAEP District Funding
Source: Better Schools Better Jobs