Fire Damages Building Near Welty Birthplace | Jackson Free Press | Jackson, MS

Fire Damages Building Near Welty Birthplace

Commons Hall was built several years ago as part of a complex of buildings known as The Commons at Eudora Welty's Birthplace.

Commons Hall was built several years ago as part of a complex of buildings known as The Commons at Eudora Welty's Birthplace. Photo by Trip Burns.

JACKSON, Miss. (AP) — A fire has heavily damaged a building that's used for receptions near the birthplace of a noted Mississippi author.

Commons Hall was built several years ago as part of a complex of buildings known as The Commons at Eudora Welty's Birthplace.

photo

The hall is separate from the house where the late author was raised, just north of the state Capitol in downtown Jackson.

Firefighters say the blaze Thursday appears to have started in a fireplace. Commons Hall is used for events such as wedding receptions.

photo

Nobody was injured in the fire.

Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Thanks to all our new JFP VIPs!

COVID-19 has closed down the main sources of the JFP's revenue -- concerts, festivals, fundraisers, restaurants and bars. If everyone reading this article gives $5 or more, we should be able to continue publishing through the crisis. Please pay what you can to keep us reporting and publishing.

Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

comments powered by Disqus