Summer is the season for hitting the road. Planes, trains, and especially cars transport people to their vacation destinations. Here are some tips from carjunky.com on car maintenance to prepare for your next road trip:
• Inspect your driveway before leaving for a trip to check for oil leakage. If you see oil, have the car inspected by a professional.
• Check all fluid levels (oil, transmission, cooling system, power steering, brake fluid and washer fluid).
• Avoid the possibility of over-heating your car by adding a coolant additive like Purple Ice to your radiator. It will improve the condition of the seals to prevent leaks.
• You can also reduce engine heat by upgrading the kind of oil you use. Switch from synthetic oils to a mineral-based oil.
• Worn-out or loose belts and hoses can also cause the engine to heat up. Inspect the belts and hoses in your car before getting on the road.
• Clean and tighten battery terminals and lubricate hinges and the hood latch.
• Inspect your tires and check tire pressure. The better the tire pressure, the better the gas mileage. Also, make sure you have a spare in case of a blowout.
• Inspect your car thoroughly before going on any long-distance trip so you can maximize your fun and minimize your car troubles.