Bawdy, loud, and down-right crazy. Zippity-Doo-Dah's annual parade might leave you breathless, but don't worry. The JFP's gotcha covered of when and where what's gonna happen.
Thursday, March 24, The Kickoff, 5 p.m. to 8 p.m.
• Doo Dahin' In Fondren: Our amped-up Fondren After 5.
• The Market in Fondren: Open-air market. Vendors of handcrafted & homemade wares throughout the district.
• Bluebird Scavenger Hunt and Sidewalk Sales at participating Fondren businesses.
• Queens Qrawl For All: Art and interior design walking tour.
Friday, March 25
• SPQ Big Hat Luncheon at Sal & Mookie's: Call for advance tickets, 601-368-1919; 10:30 a.m.-2 p.m.
• Bluebird Scavenger Hunt and Sidewalk Sales at participating Fondren businesses, 11 a.m.-5 p.m.
• Queens Qrawl For All: Art and interior design walking tour, 11 a.m.-5 p.m.
Saturday, March 26: The Big Day, 8 a.m.-until
• The Market in Fondren: Open-air market. Vendors of handcrafted & homemade wares throughout the district. 8 a.m.-4 p.m.
• Bluebird Scavenger Hunt and Sidewalk Sales at participating Fondren businesses, 11 a.m.-3 p.m.
• Queens Qrawl For All: Art and interior design walking tour, 10 a.m.-3 p.m.
• Sal & Mookie's 4th Annual Kid's Street Carnival Crazy fun for the whole family, 10:30 a.m.-3 p.m. (in the green space between Back Yard Burger and Schimmel's)
• Silent Auction 10:30 a.m.-2 p.m.
• Pizza-Pie and Ice-Cream Eating Contest 12:30-2 p.m.
• Clear Channel Stage featuring live entertainment from 95.5 Hallelujah FM and Miss 103
• Wess Morgan 11 a.m.
• Shay Harris 11:30 a.m.
• Benjamin Cone III 11:50 a.m.
• Miss 103 artist David Adam Byrnes of Nashville 2:30 p.m.
• Awards Ceremony on the Clear Channel Stage, 3-3:30 p.m.
• Sal & Mookie's Pizza-Pie and Ice-Cream Eating Contest Winners Announced
• Central Surgery Associates' Fondren Un-Zipped Port-a-potty Decorating Award
• Patty Peck Honda Doo Dah Day Blue Car Giveaway Grand Prize Drawing
• New Orleans Dixieland Jazz Second Line by The Shoe Bar at Pieces, marching from Mitchell Street and ending at Brown's Fine Art & Framing, 3:30 p.m.
• Brown's Fine Art & Framing Stage
• Live music featuring the fabulous Earth Angels 4 p.m.-6 p.m.
• Bluebird Scavenger Hunt Prize Giveaway** and Presentation. Artwork by Richard McKey presented to Blair E. Batson Hospital for Children, 6 p.m.
• The Zippity Doo Dah Parade, with Grand Marshal Dr. Blair E. Batson, lights up the night at dusk. Featuring the Magnolia Roller Vixens, Murrah High School Band, The William Wallace Mad Hatters, Chastain Middle School Band, parade of golf-cart floats (including the JFP Chick Ball cart) and the Million Queen March of The World Famous Sweet Potato Queens and more.
Parade Route: From the Woodland Hills Baptist Church parking lot (3327 Old Canton Road), go south to the State Street intersection, turn right onto State Street and head north, back to the Woodland Hills Baptist Church parking lot on State Street.
The Zippity Doo Dah Parade is a benefit for Blair E. Batson Hospital for Children. For additional information, go to zddparade.com. For even more opportunities to participate with the queens at the Jackson Hilton (including the fabulous Bathrobe Brunch on Sunday), visit http://www.sweetpotatoqueens.com.
**You do not have to be present to win.