Election Day: What Mississippi Voters Need to Know | Jackson Free Press | Jackson, MS

Election Day: What Mississippi Voters Need to Know

Polling places will be open from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.

You do NOT need voter ID to vote in Mississippi.

Poll Problems to Report:

  1. Any voter intimidation including videotaping.
  2. Party workers sitting at voting tables or harassing voters in any way.
  3. ID checks (other than first-time voters who registered by mail).
  4. Alcohol consumption on site.
  5. Campaign materials with 150 feet of polls.
  6. Anyone not being allowed to cast a provisional ballot.
  7. Poll workers who refuse to assist voters.
  8. Observing someone being turned away from the polls.
  9. Poll workers or party reps approaching voting machines.
  10. Voting machines that do not work.

If you have problems at the polls, do not wait until you have finished voting.

Report your problem immediately to a poll worker or manager. If that person can't or won't help, call or all of the following:

The U.S. Justice Department, 800-253-3931

The NAACP's Voter Protection hotline: 1-888-601-VOTE

The Mississippi Secretary of State's Office Election Hotline, 800-829-6786

Mississippi Protection and Advocacy System (for disabled voters), 800-772-4057

Vote 411:

1-866-MYVOTE1 (866-698-6831)

1-866-OUR-VOTE (866-687-8683)

1-888-VE-Y-VOTA (en Español)

Also call the Jackson Free Press newsroom: 601-362-6121 ext. 14 or 16.

To vote, you must be registered at least 30 days prior to an election. Although it's not required, it's a good idea to have a photo ID with you at the polls just in case there is a problem. Remember to take off any campaign paraphernalia before entering; failing to do so can result in being turned away.

Where to Vote

Your voter registration card shows your precinct number and an address for voting. If you misplaced your card, ask a neighbor, go to Vote 411 (vote411.org) and enter your address, or to the Mississippi Secretary of State's website polling place lookup page.

Call the state's Elections Help Line to find your polling place—601-359-5075.You can also call the clerk's office in your city or county: in the city of Jackson, call 601-960-1035; in Hinds County, 601-968-6628; in Madison County, 601-859-4365; in Rankin County, 601-825-1466.

Like independent media outlets around the world, the Jackson Free Press works hard to produce important content on a limited budget. We'd love your help! Become a JFP VIP member today and/or donate to our journalism fund. Thanks for considering a JFP VIP membership or one-time support.


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

comments powered by Disqus