If http://www.jacksonfreepress.com/news/2015/sep/09/mississippi-flag-symbol-hate-or-reconciliation/">the state flag is going to change, lawmakers from either the Senate or House Rules committee will have to pass a bill through in the next 24 hours.
There are 16 flag-related bills before the House Rules Committee and three before the Senate Rules Committee. Some bills ask for commissions to change the flag or for a new flag design while other bills ask the Legislature to mandate that any public university, school or state agency fly the current state flag. So far, there has been no movement from either the House or Senate Rules Committees to pass any state flag legislation.
http://jacksonfreepress.media.clients.ellingtoncms.com/img/photos/2015/10/12/_MG_7759_web_t670.jpg" width="350" align="right" />
At a "1 Flag for All" rally at the Capitol last week, organizer Sharon Brown said her group supported http://billstatus.ls.state.ms.us/documents/2016/pdf/SB/2100-2199/SB2147IN.pdf">Senate Bill 2147 (and its matching House Bill 1544) which calls for the establishment of a commission to find a new state flag design and present it to the Legislature in 2017.
The deadline for bills to make it out of committee is the end of Tuesday, so if lawmakers (sitting on rules committees) on either side of the Legislature want to change the flag this session, it will need to happen soon.
The bills on file in the Senate and the House of Representatives are listed below:
- http://billstatus.ls.state.ms.us/documents/2016/pdf/SB/2100-2199/SB2147IN.pdf">SB 2147: Would create a commission to find a new flag design and present it to 2017 Legislature
- http://billstatus.ls.state.ms.us/documents/2016/pdf/SB/2100-2199/SB2148IN.pdf">SB 2148: Would make the Magnolia Flag the state flag (again)
- http://billstatus.ls.state.ms.us/documents/2016/pdf/SB/2400-2499/SB2487IN.pdf">SB 2487: Would require the state and U.S. flag be flown at every public university, college and school district
- http://billstatus.ls.state.ms.us/documents/2016/pdf/HB/1500-1599/HB1538IN.pdf">HB 1538: Would create http://www.jacksonfreepress.com/news/2016/feb/18/confederate-themed-state-flag-divides-mississippi-/">two state flags: the Magnolia Flag and the current one
- http://billstatus.ls.state.ms.us/documents/2016/pdf/HB/1500-1599/HB1539IN.pdf">HB1539: Would create a commission to allow design submissions from universities and colleges
- http://billstatus.ls.state.ms.us/documents/2016/pdf/HB/1500-1599/HB1540IN.pdf">HB1540: Would change flag design (description in bill)
- http://billstatus.ls.state.ms.us/documents/2016/pdf/HB/1500-1599/HB1541IN.pdf">HB1541: Would require public universities to fly the state flag
- http://billstatus.ls.state.ms.us/documents/2016/pdf/HB/1500-1599/HB1542IN.pdf">HB1542: Would require public universities to fly the state flag
- http://billstatus.ls.state.ms.us/documents/2016/pdf/HB/1500-1599/HB1543IN.pdf">HB1543: Would withhold MAEP funding from school districts who don't fly state flag
- http://billstatus.ls.state.ms.us/documents/2016/pdf/HB/1500-1599/HB1543IN.pdf">HB1544: Would call for a statewide referendum on the state flag
- http://billstatus.ls.state.ms.us/documents/2016/pdf/HB/1500-1599/HB1545IN.pdf">HB1545: Would create a commission to find a new flag design and present it to 2017 Legislature
- http://billstatus.ls.state.ms.us/documents/2016/pdf/HB/1500-1599/HB1546IN.pdf">HB1546: Would require state agencies, counties, municipalities and public universities to fly the state flag
- http://billstatus.ls.state.ms.us/documents/2016/pdf/HB/1500-1599/HB1547IN.pdf">HB1547: Would change flag design to Laurin Stennis' design
- http://billstatus.ls.state.ms.us/documents/2016/pdf/HB/1500-1599/HB1548IN.pdf">HB1548: Would change flag design to Laurin Stennis' design
- http://billstatus.ls.state.ms.us/documents/2016/pdf/HB/1500-1599/HB1549IN.pdf">HB1549: Would require state agencies, counties, municipalities and public universities to fly the state flag
- http://billstatus.ls.state.ms.us/documents/2016/pdf/HB/1500-1599/HB1550IN.pdf">HB1550: Would require governmental entities that receive state funds to fly the state flag
- http://billstatus.ls.state.ms.us/documents/2016/pdf/HB/1500-1599/HB1551IN.pdf">HB1551: Would change the state flag to the Bonnie Blue Flag (the first unofficial flag of the Confederacy)
- http://billstatus.ls.state.ms.us/documents/2016/pdf/HB/1500-1599/HB1552IN.pdf">HB1552: Would create a commission to find a new flag design and present it to 2017 Legislature
- http://billstatus.ls.state.ms.us/documents/2016/pdf/HB/1500-1599/HB1553IN.pdf">HB1553: Would change flag design (description in bill)
View http://www.jacksonfreepress.com/photos/galleries/2015/jul/02/readers-designs-new-mississippi-flag-msflagdiy/">reader flag designs from the JFP Flag Design Contest. Read more about http://www.jacksonfreepress.com/slavery/">the state flag's history.