Fire burns a Jackson Salvation Army store. Courtesy Mark Blasingame.
The Jackson Salvation Army Thrift Store on Presto Lane is destroyed after an early morning fire today.
WAPT-TV reports that the blaze started around 5:30 a.m. Friday morning.
"Capt. Ken Chapman, of the Salvation Army, said an employee walked into the building Friday morning and heard a loud pop. He said an electrical box inside the building caught fire and the flames quickly spread," the news station reported.
Soon, black smoke could be seen for miles.
Salvation Army employees saved several vehicles and no one was injured, Chapman said.
Chapman added that the Army's shelter will remain open for men who work for the Salvation Army and that the thrift store will move temporarily to the former Sam's building at Raymond Road and Ellis Avenue for the next six months.
Donations will be accepted at the old Sam's location and at the Salvation Army store in Pearl.