Harvey Johnson Jr.
Home Town: Vicksburg
Education: Rosa A. Temple High School, Vicksburg; Bachelor's degree in political science, Tennessee State University; master's degree in political science from the University of Cincinnati.
Professional Experience: 25 years in planning and community development. Jackson State University, professor; founding Executive Director of the Center for University-Based Development at JSU. Mississippi Gaming Board, commissioner; City of Jackson, mayor, 1997-2005; 2009-present.
Family: Wife, Kathy Ezell Johnson; two adult children, Harvey III and Sharla
Photo by Trip Burns
There's never a slow news week in Jackson, Miss., and last week was no exception. Here are the local stories JFP reporters brought you in case you missed them:
- Read the JFP's endorsement for Harvey Johnson Jr. here.
- Read about which candidates for contested City Council races the JFP endorses here.
- The week before the Democratic primary went from bad to worse for mayoral candidate Jonathan Lee when news emerged Monday that a fifth supplier, Diversey Inc., is suing his family business, Mississippi Products Inc., for non-payment.
- After a day-long special legislative session and an announcement in West Point on Monday, April 29, a deal to bring a Yokohoma Tire Co. manufacturing plant to northwest Mississippi is now official.
- Read the JFP's full interview with Mayor Harvey Johnson Jr. here.
- Have you ever wondered who’s behind the mayoral candidates? So did we. Here’s what we found out about four of them.
- For many people, Cinco de Mayo is the real kickoff to summer. Bring on the season with local margaritas and Mexican fare May 5.
- If you see a funny-looking white van canvassing the streets of Jackson, don't get too excited. It's not the ghost busters. But it might help Jackson target its worst thoroughfares for repaving.
- Scott Stringer is a co-owner at Lott Furniture Company on Capitol Street. He has a business to run and a budget to balance. Lately, the latter is proving a lot harder to do in the downtown area.
- Democratic mayoral challenger Jonathan Lee has raised $334,560.03 since the start of the new year, according to a campaign finance report filed by his political action committee Friends of Jonathan Lee on Tuesday.
Remember: Check the JFP Events planner for everything to do in the Jackson metro area. You can also add your own events (or send them to email@example.com)! See JFPEvents.com
Read staff and reader blog posts at jfp.ms/weblogs (yes, you can register on the site and start your own blog!)