FEMA released this information today for Hurricane Isaac survivors:
· You can register with FEMA by phone or online. It takes 15-30 minutes. The numbers are 800-621-3362 and 800-462-7585 (TTY). Multilingual operators are available to speak to applicants. Register online at www.DisasterAssistance.gov or by smart phone at m.fema.gov.
· Registering with the American Red Cross or any other agency or organization is not registering with FEMA. To be eligible for federal disaster assistance, you have to register
· Even if you have insurance, you should register. FEMA assistance may help pay for repairs that insurance doesn't cover.
· Clean up as soon as possible. You don't have to wait for an insurance adjuster or inspector. Document the damage with photographs and repairs with receipts.
· The U.S. Small Business Administration offers low-interest disaster assistance loans to homeowners and renters for repairs and replacement of personal property.
· Even if you don't want a loan, complete and return the SBA application. You may be eligible for other federal grants, which do not have to be repaid.
· If you rent, you should apply for federal disaster assistance. You may be eligible for rental assistance, a grant to replace destroyed property or a low-interest SBA loan.
FEMA's mission is to support our citizens and first responders to ensure that as a nation we work together to build, sustain, and improve our capability to prepare for, protect against, respond to, recover from, and mitigate all hazards.
Disaster recovery assistance is available without regard to race, color, religion, nationality, sex, age, disability, English proficiency or economic status. If you or someone you know has been discriminated against, call FEMA toll-free at 800-621-FEMA (3362). For TTY call 800-462-7585.
FEMA's temporary housing assistance and grants for public transportation expenses, medical and dental expenses, and funeral and burial expenses do not require individuals to apply for an SBA loan. However, applicants who receive SBA loan applications must submit them to SBA loan officers to be eligible for assistance that covers personal property, vehicle repair or replacement, and moving and storage expenses.